Thursday, August 11, 2005

update on the pup pup

After my post on Tango's illness and visit to the vet, I came home that night to find that he had a rather large lump on his neck. Josh assured me that it was just a symptom of the subcutaneous fluids they had given him to prevent dehydration, but upon closer look I realized the lump was a purplish-red mass. Annnnnnnnndddd I FREAKED. I called the emergency veterinary hospital, shaking while I dialed and explained the situation. They connected me with a technician who had me describe the lump and Tango's reactions if I touched it.

The lump was so scary looking that my stomach turned every time I looked at it, and I felt all woozy when I contemplated what it might be. The technician, oblivious to my lightheadedness, was going through what she thought it might be, such as a hematoma or a slow bleed of his jugular. She was surprised that he didn't seem to be showing any discomfort, so she suggested I wait and see if it got any bigger over the next couple of hours. If I saw any change for the worse, I should bring him straight in.

Until midnight on Tuesday night, I obsessively examined Tango's lump and worried myself sick over his symptoms, but in the end we decided that he seemed okay and tried to sleep. In the middle of the night he began pacing again and after Josh got up to check on him, he threw up even though he hadn't eaten in over 24 hours. He paced the rest of the night and refused to come back to bed, so at 9am I called into work that I was taking him to the vet.

Our veterinarian seemed concerned over the phone and saw me almost immediately (apparently he came out of surgery since he had blood splatters all over his scrubs- ewww). He examined Tango and proclaimed that he had "no idea!" where the mass and huge purplish-red bruise had come from, and said his vet technician had denied any wrongdoing. The thing is, I have seen Tango and Murray endure treatments and tests and I know they don't struggle. They are very passive dogs, and many vets have commented on how good-natured they are. Our veterinarian even said the vet technician assured him there had been no problems with Tango during the blood draws. So where did the huge bruise come from? No idea, apparently.

Needless to say, we are switching vets. I want a vet that will answer emergency calls at night, just to give me advice. I just want someone to tell me whether I am overreacting or not, without having to pay $150 just to be seen. And this little experience has turned me off of this office enough not to trust them again.

I took Tango home after the vet visit and he has been better since then. He had a few spoonfuls of food and water and kept them all down. He is starving, though, and wanders around the house scratching at where he normally has food bowls. It kills me to see him staring at me with obvious hunger. If only he could talk : )

We are now a good 36 hours without throwing up and I hope my little pooch is on the mend. He was definitely in better spirits this morning, so thank you for all your good wishes! It looks like they certainly helped.

10 comments:

Pink Cupcake said...

Oh, poor Tango! I'm really glad to hear he's on the mend now. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog...I love the colours on yours - so vibrant!

YG&B said...

so is the mass going down or not? what was it? news!!!

Liz Miller said...

Poor little Tango! I hope he stays on the mend.

halloweenlover said...

oops, sorry, yes the mass has receded although it isn't totally gone yet. His poor little face was all distorted for a while, it was so scary.

It doesn't bother him at all and hopefully by the time I get home tonight it'll be gone.

Thanks for asking : )

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the mass is smaller. Poor little guy.

Phantom Scribbler said...

More hugs to Tango!

I didn't dare tell my kids that Tango was sick -- they would have cried!

RussianViolets said...

Oh, halloweenlover, I'm hugging Schnauzer just imagining that she is Tango. I hope the sweet little angel is okay and gets up to 100% soon. It's so scary, isn't it? You're in my thoughts.

Honey Bunny said...

i'm so glad to hear that the little guy is doing better!

Unknown said...

It's so scary when they are sick! I think I flip out more over the dogs than the children. I hope he's better by the time you see this.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'm guessing I know what vet it was. I can tell you my Dad highly recommends the vet in Weston right on route 20. It's right off the rotary as you get off 128 on route 20 on the left. They have 2 Yorkies and they drive out from Boston just to take them there. he said the man is very nice and when they recently had to put their 13 year old to sleep they sent them a paw imprint they had taken of Coco and a sympathy card. Really very nice. I hope you find someone good.