Tuesday, August 09, 2005

subdued and sleepy

I was up all night last night with Tango because he is sick. We're not sure what is wrong, but we left him this weekend with my mom while we went to Miami and he started throwing up on Saturday and hasn't stopped since. He threw up twice on Saturday, twice on Sunday (the last time was at noon) and I got home that afternoon prepared to take him to the emergency veterinarian that costs so much we have to take out a third mortgage on the house. But on Sunday afternoon he looked better. He ate some rice out of my hands and snuggled up to me for the rest of the night without getting sick.

Yesterday, he didn't throw up although he apparently had some yucky, ummm, bowel movements, but Josh says he was playful and friendly, so he didn't worry. I'm not sure what happened, but the minute I walked in the door Tango was depressed and looking ill again. He refused any food and would just stand near me with his little back all hunched over and looking unhappy. I knew something was wrong, and I have to admit that I was pretty pissed off that Josh and my mom hadn't noticed anything all day. Tango was clearly still sick, and had I been home I would have insisted we take him to his regular vet. Instead, I was up all night with him, because every time he would pace or stand I would turn on the light and hover to make sure he was okay. At 1:30am he threw up all the water he had drunk all day, and I started panicking. I took his temperature, checked his gums, listened to his breathing, and decided that if he threw up one more time we would take him to the emergency vet, additional mortgage be damned.

He didn't get sick again, thank goodness, but I still had a restless night of getting up often to feed him water and check on him. This morning Josh took him to his regular vet, who is running some blood tests and keeping him for the day to make sure he gets hydrated. I am pretty experienced with the eye dropper, so I doubt he is really dehydrated, but I am grateful for whatever the vet can do.

At least the vet doesn't think he has an intestinal blockage, which is my worst nightmare. With pups this small, it is far too easy for them to get terribly ill, terribly quickly.

I told my mother this morning that I cannot imagine what it is like to have children. I know I will love a child 100 times more than my dogs, but Tango being sick feels like someone has torn my heart from my chest and stomped on it. I could hardly breath during the night, I was just so worried about him. I don't know if I can survive children.

If you have any positive puppy thoughts or prayers, feel free to send them Tango's way. Also throw some "please eat some food" prayers, because he needs to put some meat on his little 5 and 3/4 pound frame.

***UPDATE***

Tango spent the day with the veterinarian and received medication and fluids and according to the vet he should be on the mend. Josh picked him up a little bit ago and he seemed far more happy and energetic than when we dropped him off. We are on strict instructions to limit water and food intake for the next couple of days, and hopefully there will be no more throwing up.

Thanks for the well wishes. It is so hard to have a sick puppy, especially because as Angry Pregnant Lawyer mentioned, you can't explain to them why you have to leave them at the veterinary hospital and they can't tell you what is wrong. I am exhausted from not sleeping, though. Seriously, how do you parents do it?!

And thank you for the thoughts and prayers, they mean a lot to me : )

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know jus thow you feel. Lola (all 3.75 lbs of her) got sick a few weekends ago and was throwing up. I was all alone, I was terrified. In the AM, she was fine. I don't know how my mom didn't just die of worry over us when we were little. I will send Tango puppy prayers to St Francis.

Anonymous said...

It's so hard when a dog is sick. I always felt horrible, mostly because I couldn't explain to the dog that I was leaving her at the vet for her own good, and not just deserting her. I hope Tango feels much better soon.

RussianViolets said...

I'm thinking of Tango and you, and I hope that he's doing better. I know how nerve-wracking this can be, and I feel for you both.

Notes from the Trenches said...

Oh poor Tango. I guess we are both nursing sick "kids" today.

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Phantom Scribbler said...

Sending hugs, thoughts, and prayers to you and Tango. Oh, the poor baby!

Eat, sweet puppy! Eat! All your friends are worried sick! And look what you're doing to your poor mama. Eat!

KLee said...

Poor puppy. I hope he feels better soon, and you need to get some rest after worrying over him all night! I hope the vet bill wasn't astronomical!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Tango is doing better now. I read your post about his illness yesterday, but didn't have time to comment. I did, however, say some prayers about the whole thing, and am thankful that things are looking up. Tango is just way too cute to have to feel miserable! I can imagine that you are feeling very relieved...now, go get some sleep!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that he's feeling better! It's such a terrible feeling when your pet is sick...

Anonymous said...

Waaa...sorry I'm late. I just now read this. Poor Tango and poor you. I always compare dog ownership to parenthood. It's not very "pc" but if you are the way I am, my pets have always been like children (except they don't talk back) and I really do think kids and pets are so much alike. You gotta hide the shoes and you gotta hide the trash. And they also do that pathetic shoulder shrug when they're throwing up that makes you melt and want to jump into action all at once.

I hope you caught up on some ZZZ's, sweetie. I'm glad he's on the mend!

Love,
Nino

Liz Miller said...

I hope the little fellow gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

I found your site through Ellen.

I just had a vet experience with my pooch. Lots of meds later is back to normal. Glad to see yours is too. I am playing the food game also! LOL