Thursday, November 16, 2006

love is smuggling cookies into the hospital

There were few lovely parts of being in the hospital, except for the overwhelming relief that I felt when this baby started moving again in the waiting room. The other lovely part was the way Josh acted over those 24+ hours that we were there. The tenderness with which he took care of me, his concern about my hunger and my tiredness and my comfort were incredibly endearing.

Of course I know that he loves me, but it was something else to see this man helping me out of bed, maneuvering my iv pole and monitor chords, adjusting my gown and assisting me in the bathroom. True love must be someone gently holding your iv tube out of the way so that you can wipe. And helping you up and down off of the toilet when it hurts to sit. Love is when you are lying in bed close to tears because you're so tired and hungry and frustrated, and he tells you that you are so beautiful he can hardly stand it. Or when he refuses to leave the hospital to get books and his computer, because he can't stand the thought of someone coming to do a procedure on you and that you would be alone. Love is being able to hand him my underwear 5 different times when people came to check my cervix, and he doesn't even bat an eyelash.

After all of this, and the bloating and the big belly, and the chubby thighs and butt, and the complaints and the grumpiness, he still tells me that I am the sexiest woman ever. He still showers me with compliments. He still wants to listen to me discuss all baby, all the time.

I am so very lucky. And so is this baby.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh. Josh is going to be a wonderful Dad.

:)

Anonymous said...

You are both lucky :-)

And even though you think you love Josh as much as you possibly can, wait until the first time you see him with your baby. There is something about that nurturing part of your husband that caring for a baby brings out that will almost break your heart with it's loveliness.

mc said...

what chris said.

also, there is a part of me that is astonished you hung on to your underwear for all that time... i lost all sense of modesty soooo quickly.

Anonymous said...

OK, now we all want to marry him.

Anonymous said...

That's so nice!

And my friend's wife just went into labor tonight! Oh! the! excitement! This is baby #2 in my group of friends!

Sarcomical said...

oh, stop it.
too much googleyoogley.

sweet. ;)

Anonymous said...

Awwww that's so sweet! I loved it when my hubby would lie and tell me I was sexy even though I was huge! Sounds like you got a good one.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

That is the sweetest thing I have heard in a long time.

So sorry you hit a rough patch there with the baby-to-be.

Liz Miller said...

Melted puddle of goo over here.

Anonymous said...

Your post made me cry.

I've been trying to think of something else to add to my comment, but it's all random junk and nothing can compare to how and what you wrote here - I hope you share it with him.

Anonymous said...

Back when I was heavily pregnant, I posted that Andiclaus would shower with me because I was afraid I would fall. You told me how sweet that was. I'm so glad to see that Josh is equally dear.

Anonymous said...

That is the best Love Thursday post ever! And what Chris said is so true. Just wait until you see Josh with your baby up on his shoulder, bouncing and shushing and rocking. Your heart will get even bigger.

lovely said...

Oh you lucky girl! and you have a healthy baby too ! oh good work to you and your DH

Frankie said...

You are truly blessed, Halloweenlover!