Thursday, February 23, 2006

sick days and staying home

When I was little, my mom would never deny a request to stay home. As soon as I said that I didn't feel well, or made up a reason why I couldn't go to school, she'd cheerily start in on her speech: "okay, you can stay home, but no television, no fun, no leaving the house, no getting out of bed. You can read, but no fun food, only soup and crackers." It usually took only half of the speech before I'd decide that school might be more fun. My mother trusted me if I said that I didn't feel well, but she wasn't about to let me enjoy it.

This lesson has carried over into adulthood. I rarely stayed home from classes in college or law school, and thus far I've taken two sick days from work. One a few months ago when I could barely crawl out of bed with bronchitis, and today, when I was up all night with stomach issues. Both times, I stayed in bed all day, placing my computer in line with my vision and checking email periodically.

I'd never have thought this would happen, but I missed work today. Laying on the couch and working didn't hold the allure I thought it would. If I hadn't felt so sick all morning and afternoon, I would have gladly come in, just for the mental stimulation and company. The pups liked having me home, but between one climbing over my arms and the other insisting on sitting on the computer, it wasn't the most comfortable working situation. I was productive, though, and I didn't have any fun.

I guess those speeches really did sink in after all.

5 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh, poor Halloweenlover! I hope you're feeling all better tomorrow.

Maribeth said...

I hope you are feeling better today. Yes, being sick as a grown up isn't fun. Although, like you said, the pups love it!

Jessica said...

Isn't this the truth, though?!

Hope you feel better, dear.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon. Isn't it funny how sometimes you crave the bustle and socialization of work?