Tuesday, November 09, 2010

life as I know it

This is going to sound crazy, but sometimes I look at my life and feel surprised. Isn't that strange?

I mean, I met this man when I was 19. He was more boy than man, if I'm telling the truth. I fell in love with him, and we did the typical dating/engagement/marriage by the time I'd turned 24. Twenty-four! And now it's been 12 years we've been together, 8 married, and I can't believe this is my life. In a few short years I will have been with him longer than I was without him, and I cannot imagine my life without him. I don't even remember what it was like without him, and that is crazy.

I wonder sometimes, how did I know? How could I have known that this boy would become this wonderful husband? This amazing partner? This loving father? I wonder how I could have known that we would get along so well, love to spend time together, have shared values, be able to make it work. Was it just luck?

Don't get me wrong, he drives me crazy sometimes. Sometimes a lot crazy. Sometimes I feel like checking into a hotel and taking a vacation from everything, but that feeling always passes and I'm back to thanking my lucky stars for this life. These beautiful children. This unbelievable friendship. This person who tells me all he wants out of life is for me to be happy. That he'll do anything to make sure we're all happy. Isn't that nuts? And I always wonder- What did I do to deserve this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly how I feel about Guy and how he is, almost to the letter. I really do think we're just damned lucky. I mean, especially in our case (age difference, from totally different places geographically), what were the chances? Pretty amazing, huh? Ah, love!

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Glad that those "crazy" times are outweighed by the good. I have a friend who has been with her hubby since she was about 17. She's in her mid 30's now, and they're having big time problems and might end up calling it quits. Hope that doesn't happen to you. I dont wish that upon anyone.