Wednesday, September 16, 2009

you think I'm joking, but I'm not

I met this new mom on the playground the other day.

Our little conversation was going swimmingly as we discovered that our two children are just a couple of months apart, agewise. (convenient! check)

She has just moved to my town from a not-too-distant town and she mentioned that she stays at home and really wants to make some new friends. (friendly! check)

She asked me for my number so we could meet up for a playdate at the park one of these days. (outgoing! check)

We were both pretty excited after spending the afternoon together watching the kids play. It really seemed like we could get along and had a good amount in common.

Until...

We were packing up the kids to leave and talking about whether the neighbors around here are friendly or not and I said she would probably meet tons of people on Halloween since everyone comes out in full force. And she groaned and said, "Ugh, I HATE HALLOWEEN."

I looked at her in horror and said, in all seriousness, "I honestly don't know if we can be friends anymore." and she said, "why? Let me guess. You love Halloween?" I don't even know how to express the whole truth to her that Halloween is more than just a love to me. I'm counting down the days until I can start decorating. I've already bought the paper products to have a little shindig on Halloween. I'm lamenting the fact that we won't be in a new house already for Halloween because I'll have to pare down the decorating here. I have actually considered moving to one particular town based on the sole fact that they have a Halloween parade.

So the question is, do you think we can still be friends? I have my doubts.
(a) Yes, you lunatic. Get a grip and hide the candy corn when she comes over.

(b) Obviously not. You lack fundamental shared values and it'll never work.

(c) Maybe. You should make it your personal mission to turn her onto Halloween. Drop secret Halloween presents at her house, send her decorating and costume suggestions, and make it clear this is a friendship prerequisite.

9 comments:

Chatty Cricket said...

no no, this calls for some INTENSIVE THERAPY. You must bring her to my house and we will drive her to Salem and keep her there until she cries Uncle!

bwaaaa ha ha ha haaaaaa.

My Wombinations said...

um, sorry but B. I share your love of Halloween. I start planning costumes on Nov. 1 the previous year, love being scared more than anything and pretty much live for Oct. 31. If she can't get that? She needs to go. We moms have too little time for friendship as it is.

stacy said...

OMG First LOL
Next I chose C, convert her. If she seems like she would be a perfectly good friend otherwise. Talk to her find out why she hates it, and then share your love for it. :)

Summer said...

C, with reservations. I'd want to know exactly WHY she hates Halloween. If it's something like "my pastor says that anyone who celebrates Halloween is a baby-eating Satan-worshipper," then the answer is clearly B, you are never ever ever going to be friends with this woman.

If her problems with Halloween are more like "I always gain five pounds because I cannot resist the Fun Size Snickers" or "those plastic smock costumes from Target make me sick, why can't people be a little more creative?" then there is hope.

Anonymous said...

WHO DOESN'T LOVE HALLOWEEN? I'm shocked.

Sorry to say: DEAL BREAKER.

Alyssa Mommy said...

I dont think it will work out either. I already have my daughter 1st costume picked out and Iam still debating on my own! But i feel the pressure to get something, Its still Septemeber!

mikraas said...

But WHY doesn't she like Halloween? Is it the candy? Is it the dressing up? Maybe the reason she doesn't like it is a reason you can live with.

If it's something like, "I just don't get it" or "it goes against my deeply religious beliefs," then i say dump her.

BTW, I am a lover of Halloween myself.

ccw said...

I agree with the others, if it is a deeply religious reason then I'm not sure that can be overcome. There is a parent like this in Teen L's school. She tried to stop the annual parade for the elementary kids, kept hers home when it went ahead, and once wouldn't let her daughter come to a b-day party because we had halloween plates and planned to bob for apples. Seriously did she think we were going to sacrifice a kid in the backyard. I'm blathering but all this accomplished as hurting her children and annoying other parents.

If it's not that, go for it and maybe she will come to see halloween as a fun holiday or not but respect your love for the day.

I've had all three costumes for 3 weeks and have my fall and halloween decorations out and waiting to be brought upstairs.

Liz Miller said...

I agree that it depends on the reason.