Tuesday, December 06, 2005

the time to be happy is now

In August, Josh and I joined two of our closest friends on a day trip to Ogunquit, Maine. We spent the morning and afternoon lounging on the beach and later wandered up the cliffside paths into the little town. We investigated most of the shops and settled into a leisurely lobster dinner at a restaurant overlooking the ocean. It was a perfect day, and as we drove home, Josh and I sat in the back seat while our friends drove, hips pressed against each other, fingers intertwined, and I wondered how I got so lucky to have this good life.

Lately I've been working very long hours (evidenced by the fact that I'm still at the office at 10:28pm on a Tuesday) to close a couple of deals that have been in the works for several months now. I'm sure you've noticed, but I rarely write about my job here, mainly because I feel incredibly grateful to have found such a great group of people with whom I work. Eventually, though, the long hours take their toll, and there have been moments in my life as a corporate lawyer that I wonder what I'm doing with my days.

I really like my job. I like interacting with my colleagues every day, I like most of my clients, I like working my brain on these agreements, I like cracking jokes in meetings. Of course, I'd like to be reading in front of the fire on a snowy night like tonight MORE than sitting in my office, but those are the tradeoffs, I guess.

On that day in Ogunquit, Maine, I stumbled across a weathered looking sign hanging in the corner of a little store. At first I barely glanced at it before turning to the next cluster of items, but then I stopped, read it again, and pulled it off of its spot on the wall.

Every night before I go to sleep and every morning as I grab my keys out of my basket, I glance at it and remind myself that this mantra is more important than the job or the stress or the deadlines. I won't get a second chance to live my life, and I have to learn to be happy no matter what is happening around me. Of course, my family's and my good health, the wonderful relationships I have in my life, my loving husband, my sweet dogs, my secure job; all of these blessings and more don't hurt the cause either.

21 comments:

Notes from the Trenches said...

I love the sign... so true. I want one!

I spent my honeymoon in Ogunquit, ME. We have been meaning to go back for years but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

awesome sign, awesome mantra. :)

sorry you are still at work so late. hope you get to go home soon.

ccw said...

I love the sign and photo display!

Gawdessness said...

My husband struggles with the work home life balance
I think I will be making him one extra gift for him to take and hang on his office wall.
Lovely, and thankyou!

Anonymous said...

I love the sign and love the grouping around it. Well done!

You're lucky to have gained such wisdom at such a young age. So many people live with the mentality of "When X happens, then I'll be happy!" Life is life. There will always be drudgery. So indeed there's no better time to be HAPPY than in the present!

Te felicito!

Anonymous said...

I want one of those signs for my sweet husband. Great post.

halloweenlover said...

Ok, I'll have to take a trip to Ogunquit this winter and track down the little store. Anyone want to place an order? ; )

Yankee, Transferred said...

Now, don't you just know I would LOVE one of those? Let me know if you are going on a shopping trip. I love this post, HL, I just love it. It makes me sad, though, that I moved before we could meet.

Maribeth said...

Some people live their whole lives and never figure this out! Good for you that you did, and that you did so early.

Dawn said...

We Wander in O-town in the off season. It is only Ovah the bordah - Where was the shop? Right in the down town?

Anonymous said...

love the sign - and how you've incorprated it with your photos, great idea.

Anonymous said...

-sigh-

Another fab Halloweenlover post that makes me feel curmudgeonly & inadequate. I mean, I would totally love a sign that says something like "The time to be grouchy is NOW!"

-double sigh-

R.H. said...

The Time To Send RH Money Is Now.

Darlings, why hesitate? Why put off your chance to feel happiness by making someone else happyY

Do it now.

And remember, money says 'I love you'

There's no greater gift.

Running2Ks said...

That is so beautiful. I love that you all are so "in love" and that you enjoy your blessings--they are bountiful and very apparent.

Natalie said...

I like your blog for alot of reasons. I think we have alot in common (jobs, newish mariages, dogs, etc..) but I also really respect and like reading about the 'place' that you are at right now and wish you nothing but happiness.

I see that happiness in brief scintillas of time in my everyday life and am making changes accordingly to make the most of these things and to get to a place where I can truly LIKE AND LOVE what is going with me and around me.

Here's to getting it right!
Happy Thursday!

bon said...

hey... I just got a cute wooden sign that says close to the same thing...

"Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."
-President G.B. Hinkley

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

just wanted to let you know i posted the cookie recipe on my blog. :)

Seeking Solace said...

I just found your blog. What a beautiful sign. I am so glad that the sign brings you peace. I recently gave up practicing law because of the toll it was taking on me, physically and emotionally. But I have found peace in corrupting young legal minds!

I am a dog lover too. My Boy is a German Shepard-Lab mix. Dogs totally rule!

Anonymous said...

so cool

RussianViolets said...

Very, very cool, and I love the way you surrounded it with pictures.

Limon de Campo said...

You have such a positive outlook. You will be my new attitude model.