Friday, December 30, 2005

eye twitches, smokin' booties, and a happy new year to you!

I've been feeling particularly unmotivated as of late, perhaps because I am stressed for some odd reason that I can't figure out. I have been having moments of anxiety when I try and fall asleep at night, and my eye has been twitching for a couple of days. I think I am just in dire need of this vacation next week. I haven't had more than a weekend off since July 1st, and I guess the long hours are catching up to me.

We have lots planned for this week, which is why I am trying to make our night or two away very low-key. We have friends over tomorrow night for New Year's Eve, a visit to the inlaws in the Berkshires for a couple of days, I need to get some interior house painting and other remodeling stuff done (that bright blue radiator in my bedroom has GOT TO GO), return items to the stores that I haven't had the time to get to, and of course, our little getaway. I'm worried my "vacation" won't be enough. And, of course, my parents are here for three weeks, and while I adore the visit and begged them to stay for this long, I do worry about whether they are having a good time while they are here.

Oh, and tonight we have a Hanukkah celebration with my inlaws for dinner and gifts. I am making Josh take the brunt of the cooking, because even I have my limits. I said I could do dinner if we purchased pre-made potato pancakes, and when that was unacceptable to him, I granted him the gift of partaking in the wonder himself. I wish to arrive home tonight to a completed dinner and a spotless house. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have received lovely and thoughtful gifts from the husband, however. Yesterday I received my long-desired first season of Lost. I have been imagining what happens past the two dvds I rented last month, and now I'll know. I also received Memoirs of a Geisha, because I refuse to see the movie until I have finished the book. That will be task #1 next week. Oh, and new jeans that make my booty look smokin'. Perhaps the best gift of the season, because everyone needs a smokin' booty.

What is everyone planning for New Year's? I find myself disappointed with the event every year. We feel pressure to do something special and end the year in style, but going out costs a fortune for not much fun, and the parties leave something to be desired. This year we are doing the same as last year and spending it with two of our best friends and perhaps a few others, playing board games, eating cupcakes, and watching movies. Cupcakes is another thing that everyone should have. Yum.

This past year I have been grateful for the gift of blogging friends. You are all so wonderful and supportive and kind, I feel so very fortunate to have met all of you.

I hope the coming year is filled with much good health, love and laughter for all of you!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have had the same problem this year... do we go out for New Years? Staying home is an idea that sounds good now, but may not feel so great come 11:59pm Saturday evening. What to do!?!?

And may your bootie continue to smoke in 2006 and beyond! Thanks for blogging... I enjoy reading you.

Anonymous said...

you deserve the vacation! but i'm sad to have an entire week in the office without you. :( remember to keep posting while you're away!

best wishes for a happy, healthy and peaceful 2006 sans twitches, hives and late work nights. . . .

Unknown said...

Enjoy your time off! And Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I want smokin' booty jeans! Los mios se me caen. I guess that's a good problem to have, no?

Have a wonderful vacation my friend. I honestly can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

Un fuerte abrazo, besos y, bueno, nos vemos en el 2006. :)

Cuidate querida! I'm so glad we "met" this year.

Yankee, Transferred said...

Love you lots, HL. We're staying home in front of the fire. New Year blessings to you...

Maribeth said...

We're staying home and my cousin and Uncle are coming up. Since we just lost my Aunt, we want to be casual, quiet and relaxed. We'll probably watch a movie, (Hubby is a collector with over 600 titles!) and I am making dips and goodies to munch on, with Lobsters for our dinner.
I'm very thankful for my new blogging buddies, too. In this very big world, it makes me feel less alone.
Happy New Year!

Kris said...

Good friends, boardgames and cupcakes sounds perfect!

Happy New Year!

Honey Bunny said...

the parties leave something to be desired

how right you are! the hubs and i are trying to think of something to do that isn't going to eat all our money and WILL BE FUN. boston leaves much to be desired, which is sad. all i know is that i don't want to be home on NYE...but that's just me.

Dawn said...

We always stay home too. Frankly, I am exhausted BEFORE midnight. I am such an old woman!

And I meant to chime in with "vacation" spots.... Wentworth By the Sea in Rye, NH. I love that big old hotel. Portsmouth is right there, and kittery, if you so feel like it. But I would most likely hang out ny a fireplace and read.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy new year! (My eye only twitches during trial prep. Hope it stops!)

blackbird said...

ooooh, I've had that eye twitch, and I know that vacation does help.

happy new year to your house from mine.

Girl said...

Oh, I am so glad you are reading the book before going to the movie. I loved 'Memoirs'...although, there is a definite difference between the first half of the book and the second half. His language to describe the world she grows up in is gorgeous.

The movie looks great too, but I highly recommend the book.

Enjoy your time off!!

--girl

Phantom Scribbler said...

Hey, we'll be home with a vomiting virus and a hundred Dragon Tales videos. There's nowhere to go but up for our 2006.

I hope you have a a fun and relaxing new year!

Natalie said...

Happy New Year Smokin' Hotty!

Your friend from the North who is curiously craving cupcakes now!

Cheers

Running2Ks said...

May you enjoy the rest of Hanukkah. And have an incredible new year too.

Eye twitchin' is a sign for me too. I hope your vacation does the trick. You earned it, you deserve it, and you are worth it.

And tonight you can party like it's nine--two thousand five :)

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

enjoy "memoirs..." it's a great book. :)
hope you have a wonderful vacation. happy new year! :)

Liz Miller said...

We never go out on NYE, it's too crazy and there are too many people driving drunk. But we usually do see it in together.

This year, however, he was in bed by 8:00, just 15 minutes after Muffin Man. Mr. Spock is trying to get acclimated to Europe's time zone.

It's vewy, vewy quiet.

Elizabeth said...

Happy New Year - I hope your getaway is lovely, sexy, happy, delicious!

:)

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised no one has asked yet - what brand of jeans, if you don't mind?
Always looking for the next best pair myself.

Jessica said...

Happy New Year and enjoy your much needed vacation....

Memoirs of a Geisha is my all-time favorite book. I saw the movie opening night. Will be interested in hearing your thoughts once you've read the book and seen the movie. I posted a "review" I can share once you have finished.

Notes from the Trenches said...

Happy New Year!
And please share the brand of those jeans!

Anonymous said...

howdy-doodee ma'am, an' mighty pleased ter made yo' quaintance. Ol' Tex ain't much good at fancy talkin' but Ah suren' do act up ornery whens ah hears folks bad mouthin' religion. Durn polecats!
Best regards to yo' an all yo' kin.

Tex!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about the disappointment about New Year celebrations. I think board games and cupcakes is a stellar idea.

Also, I agree with your husband, store bought/mix latkes are not acceptable! I do cheat by using the fresh grated potatoes located in the meat section (they're called hash browns but there's nothing that's been done to them beyond grating)two cups of those, a couple of eggs, a tablespoon of flour a teaspoon of baking powder a little salt and you're all set!

K said...

I'm obsessed with Lost! I borrowed the season 1 DVD from my sister. It's even better on DVD than on TV because there are no pesky commercials, and you can just watch it straight through if you want instead of waiting agonizing weeks for answers! :)

I'm listening to Memoirs of a Geisha on audiobook in my commute.

Running2Ks said...

How have you been lately?

nancy said...

We do fondue and board games and pay no attention to the clock.

HAPPY NEW YEAR though...may yours be hive free.