Tuesday, December 27, 2005

merry chrismukkahkwanzaa

Or however you are supposed to say that.

I had great plans to post on Christmas Eve with a holiday picture of the dogs, and then the time got away from me, as is always the case. My parents were arriving on a flight from California at 5pm on Saturday afternoon, and Josh and I had ONE AFTERNOON to get the house in decent shape for their arrival. If you'd seen it before our whirlwind cleaning, you would have understood my desperation.

Of course, we slept in until 11am, and then discovered that unless we found a way to stop time, we'd never be able to do laundry, clean every room in the house, change all the sheets, give Murray a haircut, bathe both dogs, wrap our last couple of gifts, get ourselves cleansed, dressed and to the airport by 5pm. We did the best we could, though, and and got to the airport at 5:30pm, wondering why we hadn't gotten a call from them yet, but it turns out they were delayed! Hurray! So we timed it perfectly, and arrived at Gate C as they rolled their bags out from the carousel. I resisted the urge to make up a story and tell them we'd been waiting for half an hour, because I'm a nice daughter like that.

As we drove home, they broke the news to us that they'd been up since 1:30am California time to catch their flight, so we scrapped our plans to go to our dear friends' Christmas Eve party and instead decided to eat dinner at home. Poor Josh then set about at 6:45pm on Christmas Eve to run around our town and find a grocery store that was still open and had food. Thank goodness for Whole Foods. I prepared the sides and he settled on lobsters and crabs for their main dish because they are quick to cook. Nothing says Merry Christmas like crustaceans, no?

Then there was movie watching and opening of gifts at midnight, as we did when I was a child. Christmas day was fairly non-momentous, although we did see King Kong. Why didn't anyone tell me that he dies at the end? I was inconsolable.

Sunday was also the first night of Hanukkah and we had traditional potato pancakes (and tofu), candle lighting and gifts. I got a Seal cd, because I am quite obsessed with his song, Love's Divine. It is my new wake up song, replacing Sarah McLachlan's Afterglow. We are opting for low cost gifts this year, in deference to our new television, Wanda, and my new computer.

Yesterday was much of the same lounging around and I didn't even have to work all weekend! Although clients emailed me with requests anyway. Our one great foray out, was to the Crate and Barrel post-Christmas 50% off sale. Wooooooweeeeeee. I never knew that people could get so nasty over ornaments and snowmen dishtowels.

Today I'm back in the office sunny and chipper because hardly anyone is here, and I've actually slept many consecutive hours. My parents and Josh are meeting me for lunch, and I am planning Josh and my 2 day adventure away without the dogs. The folks are watching Tango and Murray for our escape. Any suggestions for locales not far from Boston that are relaxing? We considered skiing but decided that given our different skiing styles we'd spend more time together if we went to a regular hotel. My criteria: within 3 hours of Boston, something to do (i.e. a couple of shops), not too busy or hectic (so NYC is out) and Josh has to be there. That is it. Suggestions are welcome.

Hope all of your holidays were wonderful, peaceful and happy!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, LOVE the pic! hahahaha.

Second, this?

Why didn't anyone tell me that he dies at the end? I was inconsolable.

This is why I love you. You crack me up.

Suzanne said...

The doggies are just adorable.

King Kong does WHAT at the end? That's it, cross that one off my list. I just can't handle any more tragedies...

Kris said...

Glad you had a hive free holiday! Great picture, :)

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of the dogs (esp. Rabbi Dog). awesome.

If you don't want to travel too far - Newburyport is nice (some shops, a modest nightlife to speak of). York, Maine isn't to shabby either - lots of antique shops on the way and outlets nearby!

Sarah said...

Western MA can be nice. North Hampton has lots of cute shops/inns/restaurants and lots of places to go do outdoorsy things if you like that sort of deal. And it's only about 2 hours from Boston.

Yankee, Transferred said...

I second the Western Mass. vote. Also, the Fitzwilliam Inn in NH is close (1 hr, 15 min approx I think) and Fitwilliam has a beautiful town green...very quaint.

I'm a big fan of the Cape in the winter, too. email me at yankeetransplant@gmail.com if you want some suggestions of places to stay.

Maribeth said...

We'e doing Lobsters for New Years! I think it's festive. The glowing red color certainly is seasonable! LOL!
Glad to hear you had a great Christmas.

Anonymous said...

OMG I LOVE THAT PICTURE SOOOO MUCH. You guys are just too cute. Your holidays so far sound wonderful and the getaway sounds fab. Wherever you go, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Enjoy!

Saludos a tus padres que criaron (sp?) una hija tan linda!

Besos,
Nino

Running2Ks said...

Welcome back! Love your "being a nice daughter" thing--I would totally do that too ;)

I am glad you had a blast and you are healthy :)

Phantom Scribbler said...

That picture cracks me up every time I see it.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a fabulous time!

Peggy said...

you are as bad as I am dressing up our poor little pets! LOL have a great trip and a wonderful New Year

R.H. said...

Go to Niagra. Have a second (third?) honeymoon. Lucky people.

How come the santa dog looks so mournful, and the Rabbi dog so dignified?

Well, clothes make the dog, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Holiday lobsters sound yummy, and I love the idea of opening gifts at midnight! Of course, then no one at our house would go to bed til 4 am, so maybe we'll hold off on that a few years...

Honey Bunny said...

those puppies are precious!

mc said...

I can't resist putting a plug in for my adopted hometown, Portland, ME. Plenty of things to do, some nice hotels and B&Bs, and GREAT restaurants a 2-hour drive from Beantown. Then again, I love western Mass. and Northampton in particular. (If you do come to Portland and need restaurant suggestions, email me at michaelamc@gmail.com and I'll make a list...)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Portland, ME...bueno idea.

Gawdessness said...

happy crustaceans to you, enjoy your time off!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

sounds like a nice quiet holiday. :) enjoy your parents visit and your time away with josh. where do you think you'll go?
p.s. cute pic of the doggies!

purple_kangaroo said...

Sounds great . . . our guests arrived 2 hours early while we were still in the scrambling-madly to clean up stage. :)

K said...

King Kong was an awesome movie. I totally cried at the end over the gorilla. So sad. :(

Anonymous said...

That picture is the best. ever.