Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I thought my hair was gray before

It is a roller coaster of emotion around here. One minute I'm stressed and pulling my hair out and feeling completely demoralized about the house hunt and the next I'm panicked at the possibility that the buyers will pull out. If you talked to me on Sunday or Monday, I was practically in tears because I was sure we'd made a mistake and I wanted to retract our acceptance. I spent quite a bit of time railing at Josh that the buyers had BETTER not ask us for ONE CENT because I was NOT SELLING, DAMNIT! Today, the day of the actual inspection, I'm a bundle of nerves because I don't want them to back out. I am feeling a tiny bit better about our chances of finding a new house because I found some month to month housing in a nearby town. At least we won't be homeless.

The current plan (if they don't back out, that is) is to close on August 7th, and if we haven't found a house by then, the kids and I will go live with my inlaws for a few weeks (hold me), while Josh stays with a friend near Boston. If we haven't found a house by September, we will move back from the Berkshires to live in the month to month housing so Gabe can start his toddler program on time. That closing date is pretty ambitious, and I'm assuming I won't be able to find another house by then, so our stuff will go into storage for a bit. If I find another house by next week, we may ask them to push the closing back by a week or so, but we're not opposed to spacing the closings out because it will give us the opportunity to save a bit of money.

Of course, all of this talk of spacing out the closings gives me hives because there is too much for me to worry about. I lie awake at nights thinking about interest rates and housing markets and the multitude of ways we may end up being screwed if housing prices go up after we've pulled our money out of the market. I have to talk myself off the ledge every few hours, to be honest.

One step at a time, I guess. I'm waiting to hear back about the inspection (in which they found nothing major, as far as my broker and I are concerned, but you never know with buyers), and I'm methodically checking out houses on my list in the towns we like. My poor children are bored and frustrated, between the house hunting and the rainy, gloomy weather. We can all use some fun this weekend and a small break from the anxiety of the situation.

Oh, and your comments about possibly being pregnant gave me an anxiety attack just imagining it. I'd love another baby, but a pregnancy now would really and truly shoot me straight over the edge without a parachute. Talk about perspective!!!