Wednesday, November 30, 2005

i endeavor to prevent you from making my mistakes

I am fairly low-maintenance in the hair care category. I wash it every other day, brush and go. Sometimes it doesn't even get brushed on the non-washing mornings, but it is so straight that as I've mentioned before, you can't really tell. I occasionally try to stretch the hair washing out to three days, but on those rare occasions when I wake up late or have an emergency, I tie it back and hope that folks confuse the greasy look for shine. Lots and lots of shine.

One morning in my third year of law school, I had one of those mornings when I somehow slept through the alarm and was caught with only 15 minutes until the start of class. I got dressed in record time, ran into the bathroom to pull my hair into the pony tail and upon looking in the mirror realized, nooooo, ohhh noooo, not even a pony tail will work today.

And then, I remember a trick I'd read about so many times in magazines. I'd just sprinkle some talcum powder into my hair, the powder would absorb the grease, thus leaving my hair looking clean although a bit dull, and I'd be on my merry way.

I sprang into action, pulled baby powder out of the linen closet, hung my head upside down over the tub, and began liberally shaking the powder over my scalp. Once I'd shaken enough out, I set down the bottle and ran my hands and a brush through the hair to shake out the excess. Surprisingly, though, not much excess seemed to be coming out.

I turned my hair right side up and looked in the mirror. White hair. I had a full head of white hair, with clumps of powder that had soaked up the natural oiliness and turned into crusted strands. I frantically shook it out again, running the brush through, rubbing it with a towel, and eyeing the clock nervously. This professor did not permit tardiness and would be more than happy to call me out if I snuck in past the start of class.

The crusted and clumpy white hairs remained. I had two choices, I could abandon my attempts to get to class and wash out the disaster on my head, or I could find a cover up. I pulled one of Josh's hats off from behind the door, tucked the mess under the hat and hoped that no one noticed that the pony tail poking out the back looked suspiciously gray in color. I also hoped that no professor demanded for me to take off the (not permitted) hat in class, or I would really look foolish.

Apparently when the magazines tell you to put talcum powder in your hair, they mean for you to rub a tiny amount between your fingers and run your fingers through your hair. Further explanation would have been nice, but at least now YOU know. I aim to please.

17 comments:

lostinthemiddle said...

Hey, thanks! I've been saving the talcum powder trick for a moment of need such as the one you describe. I'd have done exactly what you did.

Those mags REALLY ought to explain better.

;o

lol

Girl said...

Oh my GOSH that is too much. I have read that about talcum powder too...and I NEVER would have suspected that they didn't mean pouring it on top of my head.

Of course, my hair is so wavy and dry that I can go four or even...five days w/o out a wash. Seriously. It is so coarse that it doesn't even resemble 'normal hair' until day three.

Kris said...

Ha! I have used that trick, back when I was a blonde.... probably works better for blondes!

Back in the 70s there used to be a product called Pssst! Spray on, brush through and voila, non greasy hair!

Honey Bunny said...

that's totally something i would have done, too! so you're not alone!

Gawdessness said...

Thank you for saving me from myself!

KLee said...

Is it really disgusting of me to admit that I've dome this one way more than one occasion? My hair is very oily, so I will carry a little containter of powder with me, and touch up during the day, if I need to. I can wash it in the morning, and have it needing a pick-me-up by afternoon.

I no longer have to do this, since I discovered that dying my hair strips just enough of the natural oil out to maky my hair look "normal."

Lucky I'm a blonde, or I would've had the clump thing going as well! :)

nancy said...

You crack me up!

Suzanne said...

I learn so much here! Thanks for the hair tip.

And the chuckle. So funny when something like this happens to someone else...

Anonymous said...

ROFL

I've tried stretching it to three or four days too, on occasion. Glad to see I"m in good company!

Notes from the Trenches said...

OMG, yet another similarity. I did the same thing once and was forced to spend the day with clumps of white in my hair. I only wash my hair every second or third day, glad to know I am not alone.

You are too funny.

Running2Ks said...

HL, if for no other reason, these PSA's are a critically important reason to stop by.

But there are many other reasons to come--among which are that you crack me the heck up!

halloweenlover said...

R2K, I had to go google PSA. HA! I love to help.

ccw said...

So funny!

I admit, I have/do use the powder trick when necessary or I am being exceptionally lazy. I sprinkle it directly on my scalp (opened only slightly). However, I have blonde hair, so any white that might stay looks like a piece that has more highlight than the others.

Anonymous said...

That's a funny story. Thanks for the tip...and the laugh!

I am envious of people who don't have to wash their hair every day. I shampoo and condition my hair every day, but not because it's oily. I do it because my hair has just a hint of natural wave in it...just enough that I wake up with heinous bed hair every morning that necessitates a fresh washing and styling in order for me to look human. It was all fine and dandy when I was younger and my hair was oilier, but now I have noticed that the daily washing and styling are causing my tresses to become a bit dry and dull. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid heinous bed hair?

Piece of Work said...

Okay, so what happened? Did you make it through class without taking off the hat?

Very funny story, thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

HA! This trick never did work for me...

K said...

I tried that trick in high school and college a lot when I was perpetually late (kinda like now, except now that I'm commuting I let my hair air dry on the way to work and even recently started applying mascara at my desk to save time).

I also has some kind of spray on stuff that was supposed to de-grease your hair. The trouble with the powder and the degreaser is that they made my hair super-dry and static-y, ALSO not a good look.

Now that I'm a little older I'm not as greasy and can now wash my hair every other day without looking like a dog that's been rolling in something unpleasant.