Back on the illness bandwagon.
I guess hoping for a healthy 2010 was too much to ask quite yet, so this morning featured an emergency trip to the pediatrician for another diagnosis of ear infection.
Last night I slipped on a friend's driveway while carrying Josie's car seat (with her in it) and both she and I BAILED on the patch of ice. I landed on my side and dropped the car seat in the process, so she hit the ground and I did nothing to break my fall. It was a terrific moment. Truthfully, though, I didn't think much of it. I was pretty sore, but she didn't cry and didn't seem particularly stunned or hurt by the whole thing, so we got in the car and came home.
About 45 minutes later, right around bedtime, the crying started. Hers, not mine. And the crying continued, throughout the night, despite repeated nursings (yes, we're still nursing, which is a whole other HOLY SMOKES post), infant Tylenol, rocking, walking, shushing, sleeping in our bed, stern warnings from Josh, and many, many, many attempts to get her to settle down. Nothing was working, and all of a sudden, at 2:47am, it occurred to me that all of this could be related to the fall and I promptly had a nervous breakdown.
We called the pediatrician, at 2:50am, and had a long conversation about whether to take her straight to the emergency room or to watch her until morning and then bring her in for an appointment. She finally calmed down sometime after 3am and we opted to wait for the morning.
Thankfully, the culprit was the ear infection, not some kind of head injury, which is what we were all nervous about. The pediatrician, prince that he is, didn't even bat an eyelash at the 3am phone call.
We're all a little frustrated by these repeat ear infections, though, and although I do not, repeat, do NOT, want tubes, I've asked a few times already about whether we need to see an ear, nose, and throat specialist. The answer every time has been that she isn't a candidate for tubes because her ear infections resolve fairly easily, except for one time that required three rounds of antibiotics.
So my question is, do you have experience with this? Should I push for an ENT referral? Do you think she's fine? This is her fifth ear infection since birth, fourth since October. Her hearing seems good, she has buckets of words (about 15, I'd guess), she always seems fine after the first day of antibiotics, but she did nosedive off of her growth curve at her one year appointment. Up until this latest appointment she was in the 75th percentile for weight and last week she was in the 20th percentile. 20th! I know this is due to her lack of eating whenever she is sick or on antibiotics, which has been about nine weeks out of the last three months.
Words of advice, please. Should I be pleased with the fact that two pediatricians in her practice think she is not a candidate for a referral to a specialist? Or am I wrong to trust in their expertise?