Tuesday, July 07, 2009

I didn't need the sleep anyway

Our house situation has been eclipsed by a sick baby. Josie had her well baby visit last week, at which the doctor discovered tons of fluid in her ears. It was leading up to the weekend, so he prescribed Amoxicillin, but told me not to fill it unless she became intolerably fussy or ran a fever. Sure enough, Saturday afternoon came around and she sprouted a fever that hasn't let up yet. Finally, this morning I took her in to the pediatrician because she seemed so miserable and pitiful.

Turns out, she may or may not have an ear infection, but she definitely has Coxsackie. We seem to have a monopoly on this particular illness around here, honestly. It is no wonder she has been fussy and clingy for the last couple of days, she's been feeling like crud. Last night, as we were entering our third consecutive night of high fevers, I felt myself starting to let the worry creep in. You always hear about these horrible stories where parents assume their children have a run of the mill virus and then it takes a turn for the worse. I tell you, that kind of thinking can make you crazy in just a few minutes. I'm crossing fingers that she is feeling better asap.

Gabe seems to be feeling fine, although we've had a run of not-listening-itis lately. I think this is largely caused by the endless rain and gloomy weather and the non-stop houses we've been going to see. I think the poor kid is bored senseless now that his toddler program is on break for the summer, and I haven't even had the luxury of nice weather to work off his energy outside.

We have been doing our best to give him one fun activity per day, though, so last week we took him to Chuck E. Cheese, then the zoo, then a block party, a fourth of July parade, and today I took him to the movies. All were very enjoyable for all involved, and in truth, Josh and I probably had more fun than Gabe. That's saying a lot, because Gabe had a GREAT time.

The house is still on the market, and unfortunately for us, we've found a house we adore but now we don't have the money to buy it. The sellers are encouraging us to enter in an offer contingent on us selling our house, but we still feel uncomfortable with putting anything on the table until we've sold this one. I'm crossing fingers that the right thing happens- whether it is selling or staying. I just want to make the right decision.

I'm also crossing fingers AND toes for some actual summer weather. Torrential downpours, flooding, and 60 degree weather just doesn't feel like July to me.


Rev Dr Mom said...

This weather SUCKS! Where is summer?

I hope Josie feels better soon!