Monday, September 22, 2008

more little boy than toddler

Do you remember what today is?

Today was Gabe's first official day of "SCHOOL"! (Otherwise know as the toddler program in my neighborhood)

I didn't mention anything to him about today's big event until a couple of days ago when I started telling him that he was going to go to school soon, what the teacher's name is, what he would be doing, and what he would have for snacks, etc. I was a tiny bit nervous, not because Gabe is a clingy child, because he falls far more on the too independent for his own good side, but because the past two and a half weeks have been out of control.

First, we were in California where between jet lag and general upheaval, his bedtimes and naptimes fluctuated wildly. Then last Wednesday we flew to Atlanta where I was the Matron of Honor at my friend's wedding and Gabe watched more television in the span of 3 days and slept stranger hours than he had in his entire life. Between helping my friend put together her favors and centerpieces (!!!) and running random errands for her, poor Gabe ate horrible junk food at strange times, took naps in the car or far too late, and was going to bed at 1am and waking up a number of times a night to call for me. It was a bit of a nightmare.

Thankfully, Josh arrived in Atlanta on Friday night and he helped me get Gabe under some semblance of a schedule again while I was able to devout myself entirely to the wedding festivities all day on Saturday. Last night we flew home to Boston, had Gabe bathed and in bed by 8:45pm and we kept all fingers and toes crossed that this morning would go well. He did wake up twice during the night to ask for us, but this morning he woke up at 8:15am, happy as a clam and shockingly excited to go to school (although who knows what he thought 'school' actually was).

We dressed, packed our new backpack with a change of clothes and diapers, took our all important picture and walked the 4 blocks to the toddler program, while I told him all the exciting things he would be doing during the day.

By the time we arrived, he was ready. We walked inside, he walked over to the teacher, gave her an unsolicited hug, and settled in with a "choo choo" and a truck. I sat there nervously for a few minutes, unsure of whether I should leave or not, and finally decided to give him a quick kiss and run out the door. So I leaned over, told him that Mama was leaving now, gave him a kiss, and started edging toward the door. He looked over at me, looked back at the trucks, and called "buh-bye Mama" over his shoulder as I walked out the door.

And that was it.

He apparently played the entire time, never asked for me, ate his snack and lunch with no problem, and didn't want to leave when I came back. I came back early, just in case, and the teacher told me that he was definitely fine to stay for the entire time on Wednesday.

I, on the other hand, had tons of plans for my first stretch of free time and ended up taking care of the flat tire I discovered when I backed the car out of the driveway. Fun fun fun. Turns out I had TWO nails in my tire, plus the tires are going bald, so I have a service appointment Wednesday to hopefully take care of everything. Phew.

All in all, a successful day. I'm ecstatic that Gabe did so well, and I'm hoping this keeps up over the days to come. Most of all, I'm so stinking grateful to be home and for all this traveling to be over. I'm having tons of pressure and what I assume are braxton hicks contractions, and I take this as a sign that I need to slow down.

Next up, Halloween decorating. What? You're surprised? Josh is lucky I didn't start decorating before Labor Day.


Knit and Purl Mama said...

Sean starts daycare tomorrow - so I'm hoping to get a good first experience, like you had with Gabe! I will now have more time (with Mack and to do chores around the house that a toddler doesn't allow me to!) so I do plan on FINALLY catching up your blog! I'm SOOOoooo far behind!

jo(e) said...

I can't believe he's that old already! It seems like he was just born ....

Kai said...

Oh the cuteness!! He is just TOO much. Glad he had a good time at school!!!

Rev Dr Mom said...

He looks so grown up! Glad he had a good first day.

chris said...

I just looked at his photo and gasped. How is it possible that he is so old?

He looks so adorable with his backpack.

Maribeth said...

Oh that is wonderful! I'm so glad he likes school! He is a real good looking boy!

Infant Attorney said...

I'm so glad that Gabe enjoyed school and that you got some time to yourself.

Lady Liberal said...

Those cheeks... those are definitely still baby if that makes you feel better, Mama. :)

Beth said...

Oh. My. Stars. Those snaps are TOO sweet! Congrats on making it home and for getting through the first day ok. What a big, brave boy he is. I felt proud and I don't even (really) know him so I can't imagine what you felt. Congrats and now go and lay down!

bigslowgirl said...

wow! he's such a big boy. i hardly recognize him. congrats!