Wednesday, March 19, 2008

let's hope those skillz are impressive

Well, I finally did it. I revised my resume and sent it into a couple of places, and I have an interview tomorrow afternoon for some legal contract work.

I am intermittently excited and depressed about this. We need the money, and frankly, I'll be relieved to stop worrying about money for a bit. This could turn out to be a great situation, because allegedly all of the projects we are going to discuss could eventually turn into a working from home gig. I'll need to come into the office in the beginning, at least, so that the employer can see that I am a qualified and capable attorney. But the hope is that I can continue working from home once I show my "skillz".

On the other hand, I'm still going to have to leave Gabe, even if it is just for a little while. I wish there were parts of being at home that I hated, just so I could feel relief at leaving for a while, but there just aren't. I really never thought I'd love this pace so much, and I certainly never thought I'd love hanging around with a 14 month old as much as I do. He isn't the best conversationalist, and he doesn't have the best table manners, and he sometimes exhibits some crazy grumpy behavior, but I would never want to spend my days with anyone but him. His kisses and smiles make my whole day worth it.

I have a new mantra- it isn't forever. It isn't forever. Maybe it'll be great, and if it isn't, well, we'll figure something out. But wish me luck, anyway.

8 comments:

My Wombinations said...

Good luck! I am so envious of the way you appreciate motherhood. Sometimes I find my daughter so difficult and draining, I just want to leave her with anyone else for a few hours. And then of course, I miss her. Sigh. I can't wait to hear how it all works out for you.

Maribeth said...

Nothing is forever!
Good luck and smile, a lot. It'll make you feel better.
And give Gabe a big hug and kiss before and after. That'll make you feel good too!

Rev Dr Mom said...

Good luck! I hope it works out in a way that you can feel good about it.

susan said...

Good luck!

My own experience with these kind of work/kid care transitions is that they feel awful in advance, but once I make the move and we get into the new routine, it's all fine.

But the first step is to enjoy the interview--hope it goes well!

Liz Miller said...

My child development class last summer had a report on who makes the best parents and the upshot was that the best parents are those who'd prefer to stay home with their kids, even if they can't. Gabe will be fine, and you will be fine. But it is very hard to do what you'd prefer not to.

Kristi said...

Your work situation sounds like it could be the best of both worlds for you in the longterm. And while it's incredible that you derive so much joy from being home with your little boy, you might find that being away from him, even temporarily, will serve to make your bond with him even stronger when you can begin to work from home FT.

PS: Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day!

Anonymous said...

How'd it go?

Montreal Mama said...

What's with all the Japense or Chinese comments you are getting? Do you know the language? Or is it spam comments?

Good luck with sending out our resume!

I love being at home with my guy too! Also never thought I'd like being a "stay-at-home" mom. And even though we're managing on one salary, extra money is always good, isn't it? I hate worrying about bills too!