Tuesday, February 27, 2007

my life has become a cliché

Thankfully, breastfeeding is going swimmingly, except for one thing- pumping. I hate pumping. The pump is my nemesis, and it is made all the worse because I am committed to pumping bottles of milk for freezer storage every day, and I also try to pump enough for Josh to give Gabe a bottle every other day or so.

So yesterday, when I pulled the bottles of pumped milk out of the fridge and accidentally tipped
them to one side so that over an ounce poured onto the kitchen floor, I felt tears prick my eyes. It was so frustrating to see my hard work lost in a stupid accident.

Which means what you think it means. I actually cried over spilled milk.

I think I may need more sleep.

My milk! She spilled my milk!


Arwen said...

I'm SO with you on the horrors of pumping. I'm fortunate to have no need to stockpile, so the only time I pump is when we're going to leave Camilla with a sitter, which is seldom. Even so, I think I would cry too if I spilled even the tiniest bit of milk; that's how much I hate pumping. So you have my deepest sympathy.

Gabriel is quite a cutie, by the way!

chatty cricket said...

hmmmm, I cannot claim to have cried over spilled milk, but I've definitely cursed over spilled formula.


Phantom Scribbler said...

Pumping is definitely the worst thing about breastfeeding. It always made me feel like a dairy cow with opposable thumbs.

Suzanne said...

Oh, the dreaded pump. A similar thing happened to me when my son was a baby: I took a freshly pumped bottle of milk over to the sink in search of a lid for it. I was so completely sleep-deprived that I dumped the whole thing in the sink instead of just resting it on the counter. I cried and cried, let me tell you. Don't feel bad for shedding tears over your spilled milk!

Audrey said...

How much are you stock-piling in the freezer? How much longer until you have to go back to work? I ask simply because I am about to be in your shoes -- as soon as Baby arrives, I'm on a twelve-week leave. I plan on doing the breastmilk thing for six months to a year...if I can stand the pumping. Any suggestions or advice you have would be much appreciated!!!

Butterflyfish said...

I absolutely cried over spilled breast milk. Six week old son. A four hour car trip taking 8 because I was nursing and insisted on pulling over and nursing a few times (cuz NOT nursing in a moving car). Tried hand pumping in the car. Frustrating, uncomfortable, dehydrating, taking too long ... but success! A 6 ounce bottle!

And trying to take the pump off and put the nipple on in moving car, spilled.

Yeah. I cried.

susan said...

He may just be the most adorable baby, ever. He's stylin'!

Ninotchka said...

Perfectly normal. The reason you got teary eyed is the same reason I still have a bag of Anna Sofia breast milk in my freezer.

I. just. can't. part. with. it.

And I never even liked pumping all that much, either!

amygeekgrl said...

awww, hugs to you. i'm sure i would've cried too.

and dang, that boy is so cute - even when he's upset.

Kendra said...

I'm with you...I think you need a nap. I was actually lucky in that I had no problem with pumping. But I know lots of friends who hate it. Hang in there! It's worth it.

Angie said...

I love this photo!

I could NEVER pump very much milk but let down plenty while my babies were actually latched on. I don't know why but I am one of those women it happens to. I would cry over spilt milk, too.

With the last baby I have never pumped. I have no idea howmuch milk I make this time around. I only know he is satisfied with it.

liz said...

I have so done that. Spilled. And cried over it.

And more than once I cried over spoiled milk. All that work. And time. For nothing.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that I come by here @ random(ALL)times to look at this caption/picture and just giggle.