Monday, March 09, 2009

he makes yummy pancakes too

I don't know what it was about this weekend, but Josh and I were just at odds with each other. All snappy and snippity and argumenty, and OH LORDY, it was a long weekend. It was never enough to start a full-on fight, but always just enough to leave me annoyed at him for the particular way he said something. But how many times can you yell at someone for their TONE before it starts to sound ridiculous.

I think it was a combination of general tiredness from a busy week, plus Gabe caught another plague from someone else at his toddler program, so we were woken up multiple times in the wee hours before Josie's wakeup times. So although Josie slept from 9pm to 4am, Gabe was up at midnight, and 1:30am and 2:30am, wheezing and crying and needing his nose wiped. When she finally woke up at 4am, which was a perfectly respectable time to wake up, I stumbled into her room with an ARE YOU KIDDING ME? attitude. Totally unfair to her, but whatever.

Also, whenever I'm tired, I start getting all up in arms about how much I do around the house in comparison to how much Josh does around the house, and perhaps I should just mention it as we go along instead of flipping out all at once, particularly at 1am when we're trying to go back to sleep. Perhaps. I'll consider it for the future. Shockingly, there isn't much he can do about the fact that he didn't put his dishes into the dishwasher when we're lying in bed. I will note, however, that this morning when I got up he'd cleaned up the kitchen, loaded and run the dishwasher. Apparently hysteria has it's benefits.

Moving on.

I hesitate to say, but we seem to have turned a corner with our youngest family member. I was about to say tiniest, but I realize that at upwards of 12 pounds, she has left Tango and Murray in the dust (Tango is 6 pounds, Murray is 10). Josie has reduced her screaming considerably, and sometimes even waits patiently for a few minutes while I do a quick little something around the house. She takes a couple of naps a day, most importantly, AT THE SAME TIME as Gabe for the last 6 days in a row. I tuck Gabe into his bed, then sit in her rocker and nurse her until she falls asleep, put her in her crib, and she sleeps. Alone. Not on top of me. It's amazing. At nighttime, we have developed a little routine, and she regularly sleeps from 9pm until at least 3am, sometimes 4 or even 5am.

Also, she suddenly seems, for lack of a better term, to have "arrived". She's just "with it" these days. Josh commented last night, that she is smiley and alert and laughs when we wave her arms around or bounce her up and down. Nothing is perfect, by any means, but things are much better. I have less moments of impatience or edginess and I'm able to get a few things done around the house without having to listen to screaming.

Hopefully this is the start of more good things and the cuteness continues, because they are both really, ridiculously cute. I'm sure everyone thinks their children are absurdly gorgeous, but mine really are. Really. I mean, look at those cheeks!

4 comments:

My Wombinations said...

I am reserving Gabe as Sam's future husband. Too cute.

Chatty Cricket said...

Ok, and then I reserve Josie for Sweet Baby.

BabyMac said...

Too funny...I do ALL those same things at Rob. We had the EXACT same weekend and then I kept getting pissed because I was pissed and the weekend (the only time we get together) was being ruined by being pissed at each other. HA! The children are DIVINE. Josie has grown so much - lovely to see some new snaps!

Montreal Mama said...

They are too cute together!