Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I have a syndrome

Sometimes when I am really really overtired, and I mean really really tired beyond reason, I lie down to go to sleep and something strange happens. I get this odd tingling in my legs. It is really intense, almost as if they have completely fallen asleep, and there is a dull ache that radiates from up and down my legs, and I get this uncontrollable urge to wriggle my legs around. The feeling is intolerable, and I am practically powerless against the urge to move them around desperately.

This happens once a month or once every couple of months. I never mentioned it, because in my mind it would be like asking you if your head or butt itches sometimes. Of course it does! I thought this happened to everyone.

Turns out it doesn't.

I apparently have Restless Legs Syndrome.

Please don't laugh or point fingers, and I hope you'll still be my friend.

Funny thing is, I called my mom to tell her about it, and her response was "what? It doesn't happen to everyone?" Apparently, though, RLS can be a serious thing that affects people's daily lives because they can't fall asleep due to the uncontrollable tingling. For me, it is just a nuisance, and hopefully it never gets worse. A nuisance, and a source of comedy really. Now I have an excuse for lots of things.

Can't make it to work on time? My RLS kept me up all night.
Not really in the mood? My RLS is acting up.
Don't feel like visiting the inlaws?* They aggravate my RLS.

See? Multitude of uses.

But seriously, your butt itches sometimes, right?


*** Not that this ever ever ever happens. I ALWAYS want to visit the inlaws :)

0 comments: